Caltech Art Competition and Art Gallery Opening Night Gala
The GSC Arts Committee is pleased to announce the second all-campus Art Competition! A panel of judges will select their favorite pieces from among the submissions, and the (numerous) winners will be displayed at Chandler! The competition will recur twice per year, so pieces will be on display until the next competition in Fall term. Thanks to funding from the Moore-Hufstedler Fund, this competition is going to be even bigger than the previous competition -- we are now able to print additional photographs and will be installing additional display mounts. Furthermore, we will be able to throw an Opening Night Gala celebrating all the Arts at Caltech, with special refreshments offered as well as performances by various Caltech music groups.
What: Art Competition, and Art Gallery Opening Night Gala
When: Submissions will be open from April 1-5; Opening Night April 17.
Why: Display your handiwork at your favorite coffee shop / lunch spot!
Who: Anyone in the Caltech community (faculty, undergrads, grads, postdocs, staff, alumni, etc)!
Updates since the Fall contest
- Now accepting 3D art (scultpures, ceramics, 3D printer work, etc.)
- Running simultaneously with the Art of Science Competition, which features awesome prizes ($250 / $150 / $100 for 1st-3rd place)!
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, including
- Photograph of the art
- Fun title (if you want)
- Approximate dimensions of the work
- Your Caltech affiliation
- For the Art of Science category, submit on their website
- Deadline: April 5 (If you miss this deadline, submit to the next Art Competition)
- LARGE WORKS STRONGLY PREFERRED (anything that can be seen across the dining hall is great).
- Must be appropriate for display at Caltech (left up to judges' sole discretion).
- Can be any subject you can think of (science, portraits, landscapes, abstract, etc)
- Submissions can be 2D (paintings, photographs, etc.) or 3D (sculptures, ceramics, 3D prints, etc.).
- You get your work back at the end of the display period, which will be about midterms of Fall Term, at which point the next contest winners will be displayed.
- Anyone in the Caltech community can submit works (faculty, undergrads, grads, postdocs, staff, alumni, administration, etc). Unfortunately the contest is currently not open to non-Caltech spouses/partners/friends/etc.
- We encourage you to create new art for this competition, but if you have something amazing that you made last year that you want people to see, then that's totally great as well!
Please contact email@example.com with any questions.