Preparation for Winnett Demolition Begins
Workers have erected fencing and scaffolding around the Winnett Student Center to prepare for abatement of any hazardous materials in the building before its demolition.
The demolition of Winnett is expected to begin at the end of August, and construction of the Hameetman Center, which will replace Winnett as a new campus hub, should begin as soon as that demolition is complete, says Greg Norden, the project manager for the new Hameetman Center.
Key services previously available at Winnett have been moved to various locations as follows:
- the Caltech SAS Store has been temporarily relocated to the lobby of Millikan Library;
- the Red Door Café is now temporarily located in Chandler Dining Hall, sharing space with the C-Store in what is now called the Red Door Marketplace, and;
- the Ticket Office has been moved permanently to the Keith Spalding Building of Business Services, next to the post office;
- the ATM remains in its current location and is still accessible from a path west of the construction site. The ATM will remain in place until about August 11, 2017, when it will be moved to its new location south of the Red Door Marketplace;
- the prayer room formerly located in the basement of Winnett is now located in the Center for Student Services, Room 248.
The Hameetman Center, named in honor of Caltech trustee Fred Hameetman (BS '62) and his wife, Joyce, is scheduled to open in late 2018. It will feature a large public lounge, an expanded Red Door Marketplace, Caltech SAS Store, music rehearsal facilities, student club rooms, multipurpose room, and conference room.
For questions about the project, contact Dimitris Sakellariou, assistant vice president for student affairs operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.